Friday 30 March 2018

Ravenloft

A new D&D 5e campaign - Ravenloft

After a long hiatus from gaming in general, I am slowly getting my act together and becoming involved in my hobby a bit more.

Out of the blue, a few weeks back, I got an invite from my old RP Haven gaming buddy RM. He asked me whether I wanted to play in a new D&D 5e Ravenloft campaign due to start at the beginning of April. As my life is slowly coming back together again after a couple of really horrendous years I jumped at the chance.

RM put me in touch with the DM, who outlined what was required characterwise, and I duly conjured into life Meegosh Krackle - Gnome Wizard extraordinaire. JD, the DM, mentioned that he had managed to get hold of a little gnome figurine, so Meegosh will come alive on the tabletop too. The game will start with all characters at 5th level, so I am expecting a reasonably tough campaign. I cannot wait to get started.


What with my son's interest in the GW side of things (Bloodbowl and Warhammer fantasy), my latest purchase of Adventures in Middle-Earth, and now some 5th edition D&D, I can truly say that my interest in gaming is coming back again. I have started reading gaming blogs again and now want to get some painting done, but I need to make sure my eyes are up to the job - I have yet to try out those new glasses I got last year specifically for painting.

I have just had a week off work (enforced due to having worked over my 55 day quota for the last quarter), so I used some of that time to sort out loads of minis that I began painting last year. Now I just need to sort out some paints - one of my cats had the audacity to pee all over my gaming stuff last year and I had to throw away dozens of paints, brushes, scenery items and even a few miniatures due to the overbearing stench of ammonia. Even after several washes, a good soaking, bleaching and so on, the smell just would not fade; the only place they could go was the bin. Unfortunately a lot of the colours I used on my Gondor, Rohan and Easterling miniatures last year are not replaceable since GW changed their paint ranges. Not sure what to do here - do I try to hunt down pots of the old paint range in hobby shops, find out if anyone stocks them under a differemnt banner or try to find a nearest match?

Hopefully the blog will get a little more love over the coming months and I can finally get some of those Lord of the Rings miniatures painted ready for the gaming table and their first actual game (Dragon Rampant, Battle Companies, Adventures in Middle Earth).

No comments:

Post a Comment